There are 51 parish and town councils in Broadland, some of which are divided into wards. Parish and town councillors are elected every four years, the most recent elections were held in May 2019. There are also 12 parish meetings that do not have elected parish councillors.
A by-election may be held to fill a vacancy for a parish/town councillor. An election takes place if there are more valid candidates than vacancies. By elections can take place at short notice so please check this page regularly.
Forthcoming Parish Council by elections - 6 May 2021
- Hellesdon (North West Ward) Parish (postponed from 19 March 2020)
- Hellesdon (South East Ward) Parish (postponed from 19 March 2020)
- Taverham (North Ward) Parish (poll request received 6 August 2020)
Notices for these by elections will be published on this page on the dates indicated in the timetable below.
For details of where your polling station will be, please click here.
Candidates and agents
If you wish to stand as a candidate then you will need to submit your nomination paper by 4pm on 8 April 2021 to the Electoral Services Team, Broadland Council, Thorpe Lodge, 1 Yarmouth Road, Norwich, NR7 0DU. Nominations must be submitted in person and due to Covid restrictions, it will be necessary to book an appointment to hand in nominations.
Guidance for candidates has been provided by the Electoral Commission.
An online briefing for candidates and agents took place on Monday 22 March. A copy of the slides and briefing note are now available to view.
- Publication of notice of election: Monday 29 March
- Poll cards first issue despatch: Thursday 1 April
- Delivery of nomination papers: between 10am and 4pm on any working day after publication of notice of election and until 4pm on Thursday 8 April
- Deadline for delivery of nomination papers: 4pm on Thursday 8 April
- Publication of statement of persons nominated: not later than 4pm on Friday 9 April
- Deadline for receiving applications to be added to the electoral register: Monday 19 April
- Postal votes first issue despatch: Tuesday 20 April
- Deadline for receiving new postal vote and proxy postal applications, and for changes to existing postal or proxy votes: 5pm on Tuesday 20 April
- Postal votes second issue despatch: Monday 26 April
- Poll cards second issue despatch: Tuesday 27 April
- Deadline for receiving new applications to vote by proxy (not proxy postal or emergency proxy): 5pm on Tuesday 27 April
- First time that electors can apply for emergency proxy: after 5pm on Tuesday 27 April
- Publication of notice of poll: no later than Tuesday 27 April
- Deadline for notification of appointment of polling agents, counting agents and sub agents: Wednesday 28 April
- First date that electors can apply for replacement for lost postal votes: Thursday 29 April
- Last time that electors can apply for replacement for last or spoilt postal votes: 5pm on Thursday 6 May
- Deadline for emergency proxy applications: 5pm on Thursday 6 May
- Polling day: 7am to 10pm on Thursday 6 May
Counting of the votes cast in the parish by-elections will take place at the Arena, Royal Norfolk Show Ground on Friday 7 May 2021.
For further information, contact the Elections Team using the details below.