Coronavirus - If you are a resident and need support relating to COVID-19 please call our Help Hub on 01603 430431 — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits by pre-appointment. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Register your food business

If you are starting or operating a business where you produce, transport, handle or supply food or drink on a regular basis, you must comply with food safety requirements and register your business.

This includes activities in commercial or domestic properties as well as activities which take place on a voluntary basis. You need to register at least 28 days prior to starting your business.

Registration is not required if food handling is only for family and close friends. There is also no need to register for one-off events or for certain low risk activities which are carried out on a small scale, infrequent basis. For example, cake making by an individual on less than 12 occasions a year.

Please note, mobile catering businesses should register with the Local Authority where the mobile unit will be kept overnight.

Before applying it will be useful to read our guide to operating a food and drink business.

Register your food business
  • you will need to right click the download option and save the form onto your computer

Start now

If you have any questions or need further advice, please contact us using the details below.

Further information regarding compliance with food safety requirements can also be found on the Food Standards Agency website.