Licensing your premises

When you need a premises license

You will need a premises licence if you:

  • sell alcohol
  • serve hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am

You’ll also need a premises licence if you provide the following types of entertainment:

  • theatrical performance
  • showing a film
  • indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • live music
  • recorded music
  • dance
  • facilities for making music
  • dancing facilities

You still need a licence even if the activities are for charity.

You don’t need a licence for some types of entertainment, including:

  • educational or promotional films
  • films shown as part of an exhibition in a museum or gallery
  • incidental music (live or recorded)

You must be 18 or over to apply for a premises licence.