Coronavirus — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Apply for a zoo licence

You will need a zoo licence if you are displaying wild animals to the public for at least 7 days a year, in any location that’s not a circus or pet shop.

Before you apply for a licence we recommend that you read the essential information provided on the GOV.UK website.

How to apply

You will need to notify us of your intention to apply for a zoo licence at least 2 months before making your application, using the contact details below

Once you have notified us of your intention to apply for a zoo licence and two months have passed you can apply for a zoo licence. Please download, fill in and send us an application form with a cheque for £85.30 made payable to Broadland District Council to the address below.

Before you get your licence your premises will be inspected. You may have to pay a fee for this. After the inspection we may attach conditions to your licence, for example, that you obtain insurance for any damage caused by the animals.

Once you have a licence
  • you must display it or a copy of it at each entrance to the zoo
  • you must keep records on animal health, numbers and species, acquisitions, births, deaths (with causes), disposals and escapes
  • you will be inspected regularly to make sure you’re following these conditions
  • you will need to renew it after four years, using our renewal application form, by applying six months before it expires. Once renewed your licence will then last for 6 years

Please contact us if you have any queries about getting a zoo licence.