Coronavirus — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Carrying out works on protected trees

The purpose of a TPO is to protect trees which are thought to be significant in the landscape, important for wildlife, or under threat. Trees in conservation areas are protected because they play an important role in preserving the unique character of the surrounding area. 

If you wish to carry out any work on trees that are protected by either a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or are in a conservation area, you must make an application before you start.

It is a criminal offence if you fail to notify us of works on protected trees and could result in enforcement action, and even prosecution

We need to be notified six weeks before any work to trees in a conservation area begins. This gives us time to arrange for a tree officer to visit the site to assess the proposed works. If we are worried about the suggested works, we will try to come to an agreement on something which is more appropriate. If the works are completely objected to, serving a Tree Preservation Order may be the last resort.

There are certain pieces of information that we need to know before we can give you permission to carry out work to your protected tree.  The forms can be quite complicated, so we recommend you speak to a tree surgeon before you fill them in or contact us using the details below.  You can use our list of tree surgeons if you have not already found one.

If you do wish to fill in the form yourself, we highly recommend you download the guidance notes to help you fill out the form accurately.

Notify us online via the Planning Portal:

You will need to:

  • provide your name and address
  • select the application type Tree Works
Start now

Alternatively, you can download a tree works form to fill in and send back to us.

You do not need to give notice of work to trees in a Conservation Area that are less than 7.5 centimetres in diameter, when measured 1.5 metres above the ground