Coronavirus — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Apply for works to a tree with a Tree Preservation Order

If you wish to carry out any work to a tree with a Tree Preservation Order on it you must apply to us first. However, filling in these forms can be quite complicated.

There are certain pieces of information that we need to know before we can give you permission to carry out work to your protected tree. Because of this, we recommend you speak to a tree surgeon before you fill in the forms. In fact, many tree surgeons will fill in the forms for you for free.

You can use our list of tree surgeons if you have not already found one.

If you do wish to fill in the form yourself, we highly recommend you download the guidance notes to help you fill out the form accurately.

Apply for tree works online via the Planning Portal:

You will need to:

  • provide your name and address
  • select the application type 'Tree Works'
Start now

Alternatively, you can download a tree works application form to fill in and send back to us.

You do not have to apply or notify us if you want to remove dead wood from a tree