Coronavirus - If you are a resident and need support relating to COVID-19 please call our Help Hub on 01603 430431 — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits by pre-appointment. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

After someone dies

We understand how hard it can be when someone has passed away. The Tell Us Once service can help with the difficult task of letting us know.

You can use the Tell Us Once service to report a death to most government organisations in one go, for example so we can adjust things like council tax or benefits. It also updates the electoral roll.

To use the Tell Us Once service, you will need the following details about the person who has died
  • permission from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the person who died
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • driving licence number
  • passport number
  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, eg State Pension
  • details of any local council services they were getting, eg Blue Badge
  • the name and address of their next of kin
  • the name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’
  • details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying in to

Start now

If a property is left unoccupied following a death you may be entitled to an exemption from Council Tax.