Homelessness duty to refer
From 1 October 2018, under the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017, specified public authorities have the duty to refer people they consider are homeless (or threatened with homelessness within 56 days) to Local Housing Authorities.
Public bodies who should make a referral
- prisons (public and private)
- youth offender institutions
- secure training centres
- secure colleges
- youth offending teams
- probation services (community rehabilitation companies and national probation service)
- Jobcentre Plus
- accident and emergency services provided in a hospital
- urgent treatment centres
- hospitals in their capacity of providing in-patient treatment
- social service authorities
- The Secretary of State for Defence is also subject to the duty to refer in relation to members of the regular forces (the regular forces are the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, the Army and the Royal Air Force)
If you work for an organisation which is not listed above, you may not be subject to the duty to refer. You can still make a referral to us if you're working with someone whom you think may be homeless or threatened with homelessness. Please use the same referral process listed below.
Before you make a referral
- you must allow the customer to identify the housing authority in England which they would like the notification to be made to
- you must have the person's consent to make a referral
- you must have the person's consent to supply their contact details to us so we can contact them
How to make a referral
During office hours please call us using the details below.
Outside of office hours:
- complete the homelessness referral and consent form
- ensure the customer has signed the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) statement
- enclose a copy of your consent form to demonstrate you have the customer's consent to share their information with us
- email the completed homelessness referral and consent form to us using the details below
What happens next
We will make contact with the referred person directly to discuss the referral. If you have any queries please contact us using the details below.