Disabled Facilities Grants

If you are elderly or disabled, you may be entitled to a grant for adaptations to help you get around your home more easily. Grants are means tested and are available to both tenants and home owners.

Adaptations need to have been recommended by an Occupational Therapist, these include improving:

  • access to and from your home
  • access to the principal family room
  • access to or providing a bedroom
  • access to or providing bathing facilities
  • safety in your home
  • facilities for the preparation and cooking of food
  • any heating system in your home, or if there is no heating system providing a suitable one
  • the usability of a source of power, light, or heat by improving access to control switches
  • movement around your home so you are able to care for someone else who lives with you

If you are over 65 and wish to make minor repairs or adaptations to your home, you may also be interested in our Handyperson+ service.

If you own your own property you are responsible for the maintenance of the adaptation(s).

For tenants, you will need to check with your landlord whether they will allow the adaptation and if they are prepared to maintain the adaptation(s) on your behalf.