Coronavirus — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Complain about noise

Not all noise is made on purpose, and your neighbour may not know it's affecting you. Discuss the problem calmly with your neighbour, explaining what the noise is, how it affects you and what you would like to improve.

You might want to use our Dear Neighbour card to fill in and pop through their letterbox.

However, if none of the action above has reached a solution:

We can investigate noise from:

  • domestic noise e.g. shouting, music
  • dog barking
  • parties
  • DIY and building noise
  • businesses including pubs and clubs
  • bird scarers
  • cockerels
  • house alarms
  • fireworks
  • tannoy and public address systems

We cannot investigate noise from:

  • roads
  • railways
  • aircraft

If you wish to speak to someone regarding noise from roads, please contact the Highways department at Norfolk County Council. For issues concerning noise from a railway line, you may find the Network Rail website useful.

Noise complaints regarding planes or flight paths should be directed to Norwich Airport.

To make a complaint
  • you will need to provide your contact details
  • please include the time, date, duration and location of the problem
  • please let us know of any action you have already taken

Start now

please note, this form will expire if "next" or "submit" is not clicked within an hour

In the majority of cases, an Environmental Health Officer will write to the person making the noise.

The letter will advise them of the problem and offer advice on how to prevent causing a disturbance. If the problem carries on, we can arrange a visit.

Your details are kept confidential, although you may need to give evidence if your case goes to court.