Coronavirus - If you are a resident and need support relating to COVID-19 please call our Help Hub on 01603 430431 — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits by pre-appointment. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Dangerous Structures

The term dangerous structure covers buildings, parts of buildings, walls, fences,hoardings and any built structure that could endanger the public because of its condition.

Please report the problem directly to CNC Building Control. They can request the owner to make their dangerous structure it safe. In an emergency they can take direct action to remove the danger under powers contained in Sections 77 and 78 of The Building Act 1984.

This service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you own a dangerous building or structure

A building control officer will visit the site to inspect the structure.

If the structure is considered potentially dangerous, a letter to confirm what action is needed to keep the public safe and by when will be sent to you.

If the structure is considered to be in imminent danger of collapse or part of it has already collapsed, the building control officer will require action in removing the danger. If you as the owner are unavailable, unable or unwilling to arrange for the danger to be removed, the officer will arrange for the minimum action necessary to remove the danger. This action can involve putting up barriers or fencing to keep people away from the dangerous area until a more permanent solution is found. All actions taken will be confirmed in writing and you will be advised of the cost involved.