Scrap metal dealer licences

To be a scrap metal dealer or motor salvage operator, you must have either:

  • a site licence; or
  • a mobile collectors licence

Both of these are issued by Broadland District Council.

Site licence

This is needed if you run a scrap metal business from a fixed business premises. A site manager must be named for each site.

A site licence also allows you to transport scrap metal to and from sites in any local authority area.

The cost of a site licence is £307.50

Mobile collectors licence

A collector's licence allows you to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority. It does not allow you to collect scrap metal in any other local authority area. For example, if you get a licence in the Broadland District Council area, you can’t then operate in Norwich City Council’s area unless you get a separate licence.

The cost of a mobile collectors licence is £281.90