Coronavirus — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Conservation Areas

Planning restrictions in a Conservation Area

Within a Conservation Area there is greater planning control over the ability to extend a property without needing planning permission and over changes to external features such as doors, windows and satellite dishes. This also includes the demolition of walls and structures, the building of new structures, and works to trees.

In addition to this, Article 4 directions apply in some parts of the Reepham, Wroxham, RAF Coltishall and Old Catton Conservations Areas which require planning permission to be obtained for specific works/alterations.

If you live in any of these areas and wish to carry out work, please contact the Planning department to see if Article 4 directions will apply. Our contact details can be found below.

Please also contact us if you're unsure of anything or need further help.

Demolition of walls and structures

Planning permission is required within conservation areas for demolition of some walls and structures.

Please download the demolition application form, fill it in and send it back to us.

To help you fill in the form, we recommend you also download the guidance notes.

All other changes

For all other changes to external features and/or extensions within a Conservation Area, please contact us to discuss your plans and see what (if any) planning permission is needed. If you do need planning permission, we can then tell you which forms you'll need to fill in and what to do next.

Where planning permission is required for a proposal within a conservation area, a Heritage Statement will be needed to support the application.