Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

Does your HMO need a licence?

According to the Housing Act 2004, a House in Multiple Occupation, or HMO, is a building, or part of a building, that is occupied by persons who do not form a single household - in other words, are not family members. For example:

  • A house converted into three or more bedsits;
  • A house converted into self-contained flats where less than two thirds of the flats are owner occupied and the flats were not converted in accordance with the 1991 Building Regulations;
  • A house occupied by three friends who rent from a private landlord;
  • A house let to a group of four students;
  • A flat with three or more bedsits (even if the flats were converted in accordance with the 1991 Building Regulations and more than two thirds of the flats in the building are owner occupied);
  • A house occupied by a married couple and a friend

If you are a landlord of five or more unrelated tenants, who form two or more households, and who live over 3 storeys you will need to be licensed by the council.

A unit of accommodation is a room that could be used as sleeping accommodation. This includes bedrooms and living or dining rooms that, without alterations, can be used as bedrooms.

Licence fee for up to 5 lettings:

£530.40 and then an extra £25 per extra letting.

Licence fee for 6 lettings or more:

£530.40 plus £25 for the extra letting

Failure to notify the council of relevant changes constitutes a breach of licence conditions.

To apply for an HMO licence or to get further advice please contact us using the details below.