How to apply for Universal Credit
You can claim Universal Credit to help with your hosing costs unless you are in one of the excepted groups:
- You Live in supported or temporary accommodation
- You get one of these benefits and it includes a Severe Disability Premium
- Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- You are of pension age
If you are part of a couple and only one of you is pension age, please contact us for advice on what to claim as it will depend on your circumstances.
How to claim
You will need to apply for Universal Credit online.
You have to apply as a couple if you and your partner live together. You do not need to be married.
After you apply, you must contact your local Jobcentre Plus within 7 days to make an appointment with a work coach.
You will not get Universal Credit if you do not attend the appointment.
You will need
- your bank, building society or credit union account details (call the Universal Credit helpline if you do not have one)
- an email address
- your National Insurance number
- information about your housing, for example how much rent you pay
- details of your income, for example pay slips
- details of savings and any investments, like shares or a property that you rent out
- details of how much you pay for childcare if you’re applying for help with childcare costs
If you do not provide the right information when you apply it might affect when you get paid or how much you get.
You also have to verify your identity online. You’ll need some proof of identity for this, for example your:
- driving licence
- debit or credit card
Apply for Universal Credit
- before you apply, check if you’re eligible