Coronavirus - If you are a resident and need support relating to COVID-19 please call our Help Hub on 01603 430431 — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits by pre-appointment. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

If you are liable to pay rent or Council Tax and you are on a low income you may be entitled to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.

You can claim Housing Benefit to help with your housing costs if you:

  • live in supported or temporary accommodation
  • get one of these benefits and it includes a Severe Disability Premium
    • income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • income related Employment and Support Allowance
    • income Support
  • are of pension age

If you are part of a couple and one of you is pension age, please contact us for advice on what to claim as it will depend on your circumstances.

If you are not in one of the groups that can claim Housing Benefit, check your entitlement to claim Universal Credit instead.

Information on other Council Tax discounts and exemptions

Apply online

You can use the benefit claim calculator to make a claim online

  • if you need help completing the online form, please contact the Benefits team
Start now

Apply in writing

You can download and complete an application form for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction or we can send you a form in the post. Please contact us using the details below immediately so we can note your intention to claim. This will ensure that you do not lose out on any benefit.

Evidence required

Once you've completed the form, please return it to us with all the supporting evidence either by post or by coming into our office within one month of the date you requested your form. You don't need an appointment.

If you are unable to come into our office we do offer home visits, please contact us to arrange a visit.

You'll need to provide original copies of:

  • proof of identification and National Insurance number for yourself and your partner
  • proof of rent
  • wage slips (if working)
  • other income
  • bank statements (internet printouts are acceptable)
  • proof of any other savings or investments
  • non dependant's income
  • any other relevant proofs - see claim form for guidance

Bank account for payment

If you rent privately you will need a bank account to receive your Housing Benefit payments. If you are having difficulty opening an account please contact us using the details below.

Back-dating your payment

Your award will normally start from the Monday after you call us to say you wish to apply, as long as we receive your application form within one month of this date. Otherwise your award will normally start on the Monday after we receive your application form.

If you would like us to consider your award from an earlier date you will need to request your award is backdated, giving reasons why you did not make your application earlier.

You can do this on the claim form or by downloading and completing the backdating your award for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction form.