Food waste scheme

Please note: Broadland District Council has teamed up with Sainsbury's Waste Less Save More to invite up to 16 households in the Thorpe St Andrew area to take part in a Zero Waste Kitchen Challenge. Find out more

Broadland District Council operates a food waste scheme across certain areas of the district. The scheme provides two bins; a small container called a caddy for use inside the home and a larger container used for collections.

To find out whether your property is included on our Food waste scheme you can use the Bin Day Collection finder service.

The Bin Day Collection finder service will clearly state after your next collection day if you are included in the Food waste scheme service at your property

The food waste is collected weekly and can be put out alongside either your waste (green bin) or recycling (grey bin). Please put the larger food waste outside container (not the caddy) on the boundary of your property and make sure it is visible.

You will receive free compostable liners to fit inside the caddy. To get more liners place a handwritten note on top of your collection container when you put it out and the crew will leave a new roll of bags for you.

Find out what items can and cannot go in your food waste bin.