Coronavirus — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

If you can't afford your rent

There could be any number of reasons why you start to worry about the rent or have fallen into rent arrears. Perhaps your partner has moved out or your landlord has put the rent up so it's now unaffordable for you. You may also have been affected by the Spare Room Subsidy (the bedroom tax).

The important thing is to act now so that your home is not at risk.

Renting from a housing association

The first thing you need to do is contact the housing association you pay your rent to. They will discuss your situation with you and work out a way forward.

Renting from a private landlord

If you rent privately, please contact the Welfare and Debt Advice team using the details below to discuss what to do next.

Housing benefit

You may also be entitled to housing benefit to help with the cost of your rent. You can use the benefit claim calculator to see if you're eligible and find out how to apply.