Coronavirus - If you are a resident and need support relating to COVID-19 please call our Help Hub on 01603 430431 — We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits by pre-appointment. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

How to become a District Councillor

The next scheduled District Council elections will be in May 2023.

If you are interested in becoming a Councillor you do not need to have any previous experience but you do need to:

  • be aged 18 years or over
  • be a citizen of either the UK, Commonwealth, Irish Republic or EU member state
  • be on Broadland's electoral register or have property, lived or worked in the district for the last 12 months.
You cannot stand for election
  • if you have been declared bankrupt or are subject to an interim order
  • if you already work for Broadland Council
  • if you have a criminal conviction involving a prison sentence of three months or more (including a suspended sentence) in the last 5 years
  • if you are disqualified from holding office by order of the court.
Standing for a political party or as an independent candidate

If you are thinking of standing for a political party, you will need to get in touch with that party's local organisation. You do not have to join a political group; you can stand as an independent candidate.

What to expect
  • it would be helpful if you have an understanding of how the council works, but successful candidates will be given training
  • you will receive post, emails and telephone calls
  • to work a few hours each week and sometimes a few hours a day
  • to read committee and other papers
  • to attend and participate in Council committees and meetings
  • Councillors do not receive a salary but are entitled to a Basic Allowance and also a Special Responsibility Allowance if they are appointed to certain offices. Expenses such as travel costs can also be reimbursed.
Further information

For more guidance, including nominations and relevant forms please visit the Electoral Commission website.

You can read further information about Councillors and you may find the Be a Councillor website useful. You can also contact us using the details below.