Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

If you are liable to pay rent or Council Tax and you are on a low income you may be entitled to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.

You can claim Housing Benefit to help with your housing costs if you

  • Live in supported or temporary accommodation
  • Get one of these benefits and it includes a Severe Disability Premium
    • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income Support
  • Are of pension age

If you are part of a couple and one of you is pension-age, please contact us for advice on what to claim as it will depend on your circumstances.

If you are not in one of the groups that can claim Housing Benefit, you will need to claim Universal Credit instead. You can check your entitlement here.

Information on other Council Tax discounts and exemptions

Apply online

You can use the benefit claim calculator to make a claim online

  • if you need help completing the online form, please contact the Benefits team
Start now
Apply in writing

If you would rather complete a paper form, please call us immediately so we can note your intention to claim. This will ensure that you do not lose out on any benefit.

We can send you a form in the post or you can download and complete a form to apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

Evidence required

Once you have completed the form, please return it to us with all the supporting evidence either by post or by coming into our office within one month of the date you requested your form. You do not need an appointment.

If you are unable to come into our office we do offer home visits, please contact us to arrange a visit.

You will need to provide original copies of:

  • proof of identification and National Insurance number for yourself and your partner
  • proof of rent
  • wage slips (if working)
  • other income
  • bank statements (internet printouts are acceptable)
  • proof of any other savings or investments
  • non dependant's income
  • any other relevant proofs - see claim form for guidance
Bank account for payment

If you rent privately you will need a bank account to receive your Housing Benefit payments. If you are having difficulty opening an account please contact us using the details below.