Friday 8 May 2020 marks the 75th Anniversary of VE DAY.
The early May bank holiday in 2020 will move from Monday 4 May to Friday 8 May to mark the anniversary. This will enable people to pay tribute to those who served in one of the most significant events in our country’s history.
The occasion will remember the contribution of British, Commonwealth and Allied armed forces personnel; those who contributed to the war effort and safeguarded the Home Front. As well as marking the Allies’ victory in 1945, the bank holiday will serve as an opportunity to pay tribute to those who have served and continue to serve in the UK Armed Forces and their families.
We have created a commemoration fund to help local community groups and organisations within Broadland to mark the 75th anniversary with appropriate events and tributes. Please note, grants are not available for commercial organisations and businesses.
Who can apply
- community groups or organisations, town and parish councils based in Broadland
- schools and educational establishments that are organising commemorations that involve their local community
What the VE Day Commemoration Fund will support
- appropriate events or activities that take place within Broadland to commemorate the end of the Second World War
- events held between Monday 4 May 2020 and Sunday 10 May 2020
- appropriate events or activities that are community focused, accessible and open to everyone and which will also engage volunteers
- costs associated directly with staging and promoting the event or activity such as the cost of performers, venue hire, promotional literature
- applications for a grant can be made up to a maximum of £200
- should your event be cancelled, we will require your grant to be paid back in full
- consideration will be given to all appropriate commemoration proposals
- no retrospective applications will be awarded a grant
- the fund will be available for events being held between the 4 May 2020 and 10 May 2020
- applications will open for the grants on Monday 4 November and will close on 01 March 2020 or until such a time that all funding has been spent
Beacon of Light event
If you are requesting funding to host a Beacon of Light event, you'll need to supply a copy of your Event Management Plan (EMP) and risk assessment for the event. This will need to be submitted at the same time as your application.
Grants for Beacon of Light events will not be paid until your EMP and Risk Assessment have been submitted to the SAG for their comments and suggestions regarding your event.
Apply for this grant online
- please read all of the information above to ensure you have a valid application
- please read information on how to plan your event to check you can have everything in place
- you will be linked to a different website
To find out more and to see how Great Britain is celebrating nationally please visit the UK's Pageantmaster's website.