haveringland (towns and villages)
Haveringland, known as 'Heveringalanda' in the Domesday Book, is to be found just nine miles from Norwich. Most settlement in the parish, although generally small and scattered, is centred on the caravan park at Haveringland Hall.
The caravan park is hidden within the 120 acre estate of the Haveringland Hall, boasting woodland walks, nature trails, a 12-acre fishing lake stocked with coarse fish and a small wildlife lake. The park attracts nature lovers, anglers and visitors drawn by the prospect of a quiet stay in a secluded, low density country estate.
Haveringland Hall, sadly demolished in 1947, was built in the mid 18th century for the Fellows Family by Blore, the architect responsible for Buckingham Palace and the only work of his in Norfolk.
In 1942 the RAF commandeered use of the hall as officers quarters for nearby RAF Swannington, home to the 85th and 157 squadrons. In 1945 the estate reverted to private use and in 1953 the estate was granted a license to begin its current use as a caravan park.
st peter's church
Within the grounds of the estate can be found St Peters Church, built by the Normans to improve the prosperity of the village. Baron De Ramsey rebuilt the church in 1858 but retained the original 11th century round tower.
The tower, which contains broken Roman roof tiles in its fabric, houses three bells dedicated to St Peter, St Mary and St William the Martyr. Inside is a 13th century octagonal font and a barrel roof over the chancel. The key holder's address is displayed in the porch for visitors.
The church provided facilities for the nearby Mountjoy Priory who's monks looked after the sick and needy. The site of a moated Augustinian Priory can be found to the south west of the village.
The church was founded in 1210 by William de Gyney, Lord of Haveringland. In 1265 the village was granted exemption from all tithes by Pope Clement IV. One hundred years later Pope Urban V took the Priory into his protection and it was dedicated to the Virgin Mary, St. Michael and St. Lawrence. The Priory was eventually suppressed in 1528.
Downhill from the church are a pair of oak village stocks dated 1804.
|Aylsham Tourist Information Centre
Bure Valley Railway Station
Aylsham NR11 6BW
|tel: 01263 733903|
|fax: 01263 733922|