contact us

page image of a magnifying glass
planning enforcement - what we can and cannot investigate

Breaches of planning control can take a number of forms including unauthorised changes of use of land or buildings, work being carried out without the benefit of planning permission and breaches of conditions attached to planning permissions. Below is an explanation of the types of cases that enforcement can and cannot investigate.

what we can investigate

The types of cases that enforcement investigate are:

  • Unauthorised building works or changes of use
  • Unauthorised works to a Listed Building
  • Unauthorised advertisements
  • Unauthorised demolition of an unlisted building in a Conservation Area
  • Unauthorised works to protected trees
  • Unauthorised works to trees in Conservation Areas
  • Unauthorised business use dwelling
  • Change of used from agricultural land
  • Untidy land
  • Ongoing, pre and post commencement conditions
  • Unauthorised occupation of caravan/annexe

It should be noted that individuals may be able to make minor changes and extensions to their home under "permitted development rights" or for some businesses to change their use without needing to apply for planning permission. These rights are granted by the Government under the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995, and in such instances planning enforcement action cannot be taken. For more information on permitted development, please visit our planning advice webpage.

what we cannot investigate

The Development monitoring team does not investigate the following:

  • Neighbour disputes
  • Land boundary or ownership disputes
  • The height of hedges and trees
  • Use of or development on highways, pavements or grass verges
  • Dangerous structures
  • Flytipping

Such matters are covered by other legislation but we can pass concerns on to the relevant department.

contact us

Planning Enforcement
Broadland District Council
Thorpe Lodge
1 Yarmouth Road
Thorpe St Andrew
Norwich NR7 0DU
tel: 01603 430470
fax: 01603 430591