contact us

row of modern terraced houses
public health - housing

If you are a tenant you are entitled to expect that the property in which you live is kept in good repair.

If you have a gas supply it is subject to an annual safety check, a copy of which you are entitled to receive.

If your landlord does not respond to your requests to carry out necessary repairs the Council can act to remedy most major problems by service of Statutory Notice(s) on the landlord.

what to do next...

  • See the public health - drainage page if your dwelling shares its drainage with other houses and becomes blocked or is in need of repair
  • Contact the Private Sector Housing Team for further information and advice

further information

Councils inspect and assess dwellings under the new Housing Health and Safety Rating System which came into force in April 2006.

The system determines how "healthy" your property is to live in. The Council will be able to take actions to require landlords to remove certain high (Category 1) risks to an occupier's health and safety.

contact us

Private Sector Housing Team
Broadland District Council
Thorpe Lodge
1 Yarmouth Road
Thorpe St Andrew
Norwich NR7 0DU
tel: 01603 430517
fax: 01603 430616