contact us

image showing a ten pound notecouncil tax discounts

You may be entitled to a discount on your council tax bill if you;

single person's discount

A single person's discount of 25% may apply if you are the only adult who lives in your property or, if the other adults who live with you are disregarded as they fall into a specific groups such as students, care workers or the severely mentally impaired.

In some situations where all residents are disregarded a discount of 50% can be awarded or even full exemption.

if a member of the household is disabled

You may also be entitled to a discount if you or a member of your household is disabled. The council tax bill may be reduced for dwellings which have a special room set aside for the needs of the disabled person or extra space to allow the use of a wheelchair indoors may also qualify.

The relief is the equivalent to reducing the valuation band to the one below and ensures that disabled people do not pay more because of a need for extra space. The reduction includes band A dwellings.

unoccupied properties

Unoccupied properties may receive a discount of 10% if they are furnished or 50% if they are unfurnished.

housing and council tax benefit

Housing and Council Tax Benefit can help you meet the cost of your rent and council tax if you are on a low income, or if you receive income support, job seekers allowance or a retirement pension.

The benefits are means tested and your level of capital and income, together with your circumstances, will effect the amount of help you may be entitled to.

To find out more about benefits, please call our Housing & Council Tax Benefit Team on 01603 430602 or 01603 430603.

what to do next...

  • If you think you may be entitled to a discount in your council tax bill, please contact the Council Tax Section (contact details at the bottom of this page).
  • You can also use the online benefits calculator to see if you would be entitled.
  • If there has been a change in the occupants of your home and you think you may be entitled to a council tax discount, please let us know using the online change of circumstances form.
  • See the new claim page for information on Council Tax Benefit.


online change of circumstances form

online benefits calculator


PDF iconcouncil tax disregards [PDF, 34 Kb]

PDF iconcouncil tax - a guide to your bill [PDF, 182 Kb]

PDF iconsingle resident discount claim form [PDF, 254 Kb]

related pages

council tax

council tax exemptions

council tax charges, banding, and reductions

new benefits claim

contact us

Council Tax Section
Broadland District Council
Thorpe Lodge
1 Yarmouth Road
Thorpe St Andrew
Norwich NR7 0DU
tel: 01603 430600/430601
fax: 01603 430531